Thursday, November 15, 2007

hmmm... the end of a good day.

Well, here I am. just me. G is asleep in bed (she's been rather ill lately). just me, some sufjan, computer, and thoughts. here goes.

I have been studying Galatians 5 lately. It has been overwhelming. So many falsities in this passage that I used to believe for no reason before. Example? I'm glad you asked. I used to focus on the SPECIFIC fruits of the spirit listed and tried to have them. WELL... HELLO! that doesn't work: thats forcing those acts out. PLUS... scripture says "and things like these" showing that there are more than just that list.
anyway
Something that caught me off... was realizing that Paul was referring to an entire group of people. They were co-dependent upon one another for those gifts... and their intimacy with the Lord also was effected by the relationships they had with one another. It made me think about how important it is for me to be around followers for Christ: how it is essential because we are co-dependent. The work they do for the Lord, is equally the work I do. The mission trip they go on is equally your mission trip (you who give to them through prayer, finances or any other means). The work we do for the Lord therefore, really cannot build pride for ourselves if we look at it rightly, because so many other people encouraged us to those events through prayer, conversation, vulnerability, singing, living the word they profess... the list goes on. This is a team effort. It is my RESPONSIBILITY AND EQUALLY my JOY to hold my friends accountable... to pray for them, to trust God with THEIR circumstances too!

This has been really humbling, and yet empowering.

Alright... enough of that. Story time. So yesterday night I got an e-mail that said, "QUICK PICK TOMORROW NIGHT, COME AT 6PM READY WITH A DATE" (aka: a pick-a-date at Taylor only its VERY last min. so you are rushed to find a date). So I walked into the DC (dinning commons) today at lunch, and on my way out passed this guy that I've met two times, and once we hung out in my room for a little while and we talked about music. The conversation went a little something like this:

Jess: "Pick-a-date. Friday Night. See you there."
Justin: (he just nods suggesting a 'yes' and walks by)

THE END.


I thought that was really funny... and also cool. Later apparently he asked 2 of my friends if I was serious or just kidding because I didn't explain... well, at all. OOPS. Anyway, I thought that was rather comical. We also have a formal pick-a-date where we dress really fancy in December and go to a Christmas Banquet. I have NO idea who I am going to ask (or better yet... capable of asking).
I am in a very strange place right now: I mean, very very very very content. I feel like I have a good understanding of how important timing is in relationships now... and what pressure it can add... and at this TIME in my life... as a 19 year old... sophomore in college... jess samples.... with my ambitions.... I just am excited to make friends and am very very very very content (once again). its weird, cause so many people here arn't. That also makes it difficult to make friends (because those can sometimes be guys that are not content). Anyway... we are working with it. Its also new for me to stop reading into everything people do and say like 100 times more than necessary. That is FREEING. There is FREEDOM in not over-thinking, and not being too unintentional.


Today my friend Brittany and I were walking in the middle of campus... and she explained a REALLY cool story about how she has been freed from some intense financial bondage... and OUR conversation went something like this:

Jess: "wow thats great"
Britt: "I know... AMAZING even"
Jess: "Idea, wanna scream 'Freedom' on the count of three?"
Britt: "I'd love nothing more"
(1...2...3)

BOTH: "FFFRRRREEEEEDDDOOOOMMMM".

and he saw that it was good.

1 comment:

William of Baskerville said...

Ms. Jess,
That's a really good point you make concerning Galatians. Instead of thinking of these nine virtues as fruit, producd by the Holy Spirit within us, we try to manufacture them ourselves, a hopelss procedure that is bound to backfire. If you're interested, you can look at some of my ideas on the subject on my blog entry of October 10, 2006. <